Christmas Tree Safety
Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn’t tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet. This will also prevent the tree water—which may contain fertilizers that can cause stomach upset—from spilling. Stagnant tree water is a breeding ground for bacteria and your pet could end up with nausea or diarrhea if they drink it.

No Tinsel
Kitties love this sparkly holiday decor but swallowing it can cause an obstruction of their digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possibly can result in surgery being required. It’s best to take tinsel out of your decorating line up!

No Feasting for the Pets
Make sure to keep your pets away from the table and unattended plates of food, and be sure to secure the lids on garbage cans. Eating things they shouldn’t, such as fatty turkey, can result in gastrointestinal upset, pancreatitis, or digestive tract obstruction from the bones. Some foods are actually toxic to your pets such as chocolate, caffeine, gum, yeast dough, and grapes, so ensure they don’t have access to any of these. Pets can join the festivities in other fun ways that won’t lead to costly vet bills.

Presents for the Pets
Choose safe gifts to stuff your pet’s stockings with this year!

• Dogs have been known to tear their toys apart and swallowing the pieces, which can then become lodged in the esophagus, stomach or intestines. Stick with chew toys that are basically indestructible. Kongs that can be stuffed with healthy foods or safe chew treats are great ideas.
• Long, stringy things are a cat’s dream, but the most risky toys for cats involve ribbon, yarn and loose little parts that can get stuck in the intestines, often necessitating surgery. Surprise kitty with a new ball that’s too big to swallow, a stuffed catnip toy or the interactive cat dancer—and tons of play sessions together.

No Mistletoe, Holly, or Poinsettias
Holly, when ingested, can cause pets to suffer nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Mistletoe can cause gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. Poinsettias are irritating to the gums and intestines and can cause nausea, drooling, and vomiting. Many varieties of lilies can cause kidney failure in cats if ingested.

Careful with the Candles
Don’t leave lighted candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock candles over. Be sure to use appropriate candle holders, placed on a stable surface. If you leave the room, put the candle out!

Ensure Decoration Safety
Keep wires, batteries and glass or plastic ornaments out of paws’ reach. A wire can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet’s mouth.

Careful with Cocktails
If your celebration includes adult holiday beverages, be sure to place your unattended alcoholic drinks where pets cannot get to them. If ingested, your pet could become weak, ill and may even go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure.

A Room of Their Own
Give your pet their own quiet space to retreat to—complete with fresh water and a place to snuggle. Shy pups and cats might want to hide out under a piece of furniture, in their carrying case or in a separate room away from the festivities.

New Year’s Noise
As you count down to the new year, please keep in mind that strings of thrown confetti can get lodged in a cat’s intestines, if ingested, perhaps necessitating surgery. Noisy poppers can also terrify pets.

The staff at Claresholm Veterinary Services would like to wish you, your family, and pets a Safe and Happy Holiday Season!!!